Wednesday, May 27, 2015

15 Birthdays

When we got engaged in February 2000, it was very unexpected. We both knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, but Rick hadn't planned to propose to me atop Reunion Tower in downtown Dallas. But, he did and there was promise of a trip and an engagement ring in May.

With wedding expenses, a trip to TX in May was going to be a bit of a splurge, but we hadn't seen each other since February and there was a wedding and a baptism to attend and a ring to pick up at the jeweler's on Rick's birthday weekend. Even though, I was not thrilled about flying, especially by myself, I was looking forward to the trip.

Then, Rick's ex told him she expected him to pay for half of the trip she had planned for her and the children to Disney World. Not only was he expected to pay for at least one of the children's expenses, they would be leaving earlier than expected and would miss his birthday. This also would cancel our plans as the money for my plane ticket would now be going to one of the children. I was beyond heartbroken and Rick was very disappointed.

When my mom told me she had received a bonus at work and since most of the wedding expenses were covered, she was giving it to me for a plane ticket, I was elated and could not wait to tell Rick. But, I decided to keep it a secret from him and contacted his mother and sister instead to arrange for a ride to his house from the airport.

I was so excited that I pulled off the surprise of all surprises! He had no idea! We had a wonderful, world wind weekend and the ring he and Devin had picked out for me was stunning.

I wasn't sure I would ever be able to top that birthday surprise, but I realized something last year when I was able to get Rick two very special presents. It is not about topping one celebration or gift over another. And it is not about how much you spend. For one birthday, Rick got a $5 CD and a granola bar with a candle in it.

What it is about is spending time with Rick 354 days a year, listening to his dreams and wishes, the secret things he hides in his heart that I get the privilege of seeing and hearing when we spend time together. When you listen to the one you love, you will learn their likes and dislikes and even the smallest one can be a blessing.

I am so thankful that I have been blessed with spending the last 15 birthdays with my amazing husband. And I am thankful that sometimes I get to pull off a few surprises. 

No comments: