Friday, November 09, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Quiet

Won't you join me? Just take five minutes and write on a weekly topic picked out for you. It allows you to write with abandon and just let words come and create. It is freeing. Link up here and share your story!

Five Minute Friday

Quiet.....

The TV is on and I can hear the faint sounds of my daughter's iPod. I think my son is playing a video game in his room because I can hear him talking. Must be to a friend online. Hope it's not to himself.

My husband and the teenager debate politics in the midst of the murmur of all the other sounds and I sit on the loveseat and try to finish homework I didn't even realize I had. First time I didn't have an assignment to turn in during class time. Thankful the professor said it could be turned in by midnight and now I am scrambling to finish it in the midst of life.

But, I can't.

I used to be able to do my schoolwork with the radio playing or a show on TV, couldn't really stand the quiet. But now I am unable to focus with too much noise and I find myself frustrated with my children and my husband and the noise.

Instead of being thankful for the bodies that fill and warm my home I just want them to BE QUIET SO I CAN FINISH MY HOMEWORK!!

But, I don't say that. Instead I stay on the loveseat and just get frustrated. And am unable to complete a thought, let alone a sentence.

I am like that with a lot of things, though. I let the noisiness of life block out the still small voice of the Holy Spirit and I work toward things that are of this world and not of eternal importance.

Help me to be quiet, Lord.

 

1 comment:

Rebekah Hughes said...

Yes, we need to seek Him - in the quiet, in the stillness, even at times in the midst of the noise of life.

Then, we will know His peace.