Friday, December 11, 2009

A Boy and His Blankie

If you have been around our family for any amount of time you are familiar with Noah and his blanket. He started carrying Blankie (or Blankie Boy) when we moved to MD in 2006. He and Blankie became inseparable on that four day trek. By time we arrived in MD, Blankie was black from being dragged across gas station and hotel parking lots. But, after a good wash he bounced back and has been Noah's faithful companion ever since then.

Since turning 5, he has been leaving Blankie behind a bit more. He normally has him in his book bag while he is at school. Noah doesn't take him out, but he normally has Blankie with him. As soon as he gets home, out comes Blankie and he is with Noah until bedtime, next to him during homework time and through dinner. So, you can imagine, he sometimes gets dirty and a little bit smelly. But, Noah has become accustomed to the smell and the image of his beloved Blankie. As you can imagine Blankie is also a little worse for wear. He is threadbare and torn and rubbed away with love on Noah's special corner.

But, that doesn't make Noah love him any less. If fact, he loves him even more fiercely and does not like me to wash Blanket. Ever. I have to sneak and steal him if Noah is home. But, the other day he left Blankie home while he was at school, which he has done three times in the last two weeks. So, I took advantage of the opportunity and washed Blankie Boy.

My plan was to make sure he was washed and dried before Noah got home and in the same place that he was when Noah left him. But, I got sidetracked and forgot to get him out of the dryer before Noah got home. When he came in he immediately asked for Blankie and I told him that I had to get him out of the dryer. Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued and he followed me down to the laundry room crying the whole time about the unfairness and injustice of it all.

"I told you NOT to wash him. Don't EVER wash him! EVER!"

"But, I have to wash him sometimes, Noah. He gets dirty and a little smelly and he needs to be washed."

"I like him dirty and smelly!"

"Well, I talked to Blankie while you were at school and I asked him if he wanted to be washed and he said yes. He doesn't like to be dirty and smelly"

"Well, he is MY Blankie and I ask him the questions around here!"

I held my laughter in until he stomped up the stairs, dragging Blankie behind him.

No comments: